My work is a holistic look at farming, cooking, & eating.
I consult and teach on topics from land management and food production to processing, adding value, and culinary technique...
my clients include farmers, chefs, consumers, processors, and community organizations...
addressing food issues at each point on the supply chain.
I have been working for half my life to advocate for, grow, cook, and create REAL FOOD. I have worked in nearly every aspect of the food supply chain, and I have gained a vast amount of perspective. Do I think we can change things for the better? Absolutely. We need connections and interaction between farmers, processors, retailers, and eaters to truly address our food conundrums. In my consulting, lectures and demonstrations, I challenge everyone to place diversity and synergy at the center of our understanding about food, farming, cooking, and eating, to inform whole systems thinking and accessible but radical solutions to environmental, economic, social, and health concerns. I speak and consult throughout North America and internationally, addressing food, farming, butchery, and cooking, to audiences of food citizens, chefs, culinary students, farmers, food distributors, educators, and more.
Special Interests & Service Areas:
For Farmers & Homesteaders:
- I can help with farm or homestead planning, particularly in planning for diversity in the managed landscape
- I can assist with grazing management and developing a rotational grazing plan.
- I can assist with herd management and consult on adapted genetics for your breeding program
- I can assess soil health using a microscope, and advise you on how to tweak management to improve soil health OR assist in making major management decisions based on how they will affect soil health
- I can assist with integration of animal, vegetable, and perennial crop plans and rotations, helping farmers develop dynamic, resilient farm systems
- I can advise on adding value to farm products, either by helping you communicate better with third-party processors, or developing your own plans for processing and value-added products
For Processors & Chefs
- I can provide butchery training in value added cuts and best practices
- I can provide thorough training in charcuterie and preserved meat products
- I consult on product development and pre-HACCP guidance (helping you get your act together to write a HACCP plan or hire a HACCP consultant)
- I offer retail consulting on whole animal utilization, adding value, product and recipe development, as well as merchandising
- I can offer a holistic look at honest foodways, with perspective from each step on the supply chain, engage stakeholders, and help identify challenges and opportunities, allowing counties, municipalities, or communities of any size to make the right decisions in developing partnerships, catalyzing proper economic development, and move closer to food sovereignty
- I am passionate about social inequity as well as the well-being of the modern farmer, and can speak with groups or individuals about topics of social sustainability-- not as a therapist but as a way of connecting the dots between individual experiences of suffering, injustice, and also success within the food movement.
- I can raise the bar for home cooks on using whole ingredients and improving technique
- I can provide perspective and sound information on making food buying decisions: from de-mystifying food labels, to accessing local, to growing your own garden or raising your own chickens
- I can offer cooking classes, fermentation classes, charcuterie classes, and butchery classes
Interested in a consultation or speaking event?
Call 828 | 222 | 3686 or email me
Over the past 17 years, I’ve worked as a farmer, butcher, chef, teacher, non-profit executive director, and writer, all in pursuit of sustainable food. I've amassed a wealth of experience and perspective in re-imagining mindful foodways, and focus particularly on supply chain development, whole systems thinking, and the cultural implications of food activism. I'm passionate about integrated agriculture that includes plants and animals in dynamic rotation, soil and food microbiology, and food preservation. I’m the author of The Ethical Meat Handbook: A Complete Guide to Home Butchery, Charcuterie, and Cooking for the Conscious Omnivore, and the forthcoming Pure Charcuterie: The Craft & Poetry of Curing Meats at Home. I live in Asheville, NC, and I work part time for Living Web Farms and I regularly travel to teach and consult via Mereleigh Food.
“I am a vegan, and I thought The Future of Eating was excellent. I may not change my ultimate dietary beliefs, but Meredith’s knowledge is astounding, and I absolutely agree with the holistic line of thinking.” – Annaliese, class participant at Carolina Farm Stewardship Conference.
“A total brain-tingle. I loved Meredith's workshop.” – Low Country Street Grocery, Charleston, SC
“Meredith completely blew me away.” – Kevin Feeny, chef & owner, Kitchen Sync, Greenville SC
"This lady knows her sh**!" - Adam, farmer
"Meredith does an excellent job at educating representatives from all along the value chain on the many ways that you can produce, process, market and prepare an incredible range of high-quality meat products, while simultaneously dispelling myths and encouraging a larger shift in food consciousness. " - Lucia Stephen, Food Activist and Program Coordinator for the Atlantic Canadian Organic Regional Network's Grow A Farmer Initiative
"We hired Meredith to help us process 4 hogs, and we could not have done it without her. The group learned so many positive things, we produced hundreds of pounds of charcuterie and fresh meats, and Meredith made it an awesome experience!" - Tasha, homesteader
Interested in booking a workshop, demo, or other event? Email me directly at email@example.com.